Farmers Market Assistant (part-time)
The Farmers Market Assistant (FMA) supports the Market Manager (MM) throughout the course of the market day, from setup to break down. The FMA is the acting person in charge when the MM is not available. They are expected to be at market each Wednesday for at least 8 hours (8am-4pm) from April 14th-November 24th, unless pre-approved. A successful FMA will provide strong customer service skills, be team-oriented, and have the ability to think on their feet and give direction when needed. The FMA is expected to be at market, rain or shine, throughout the season (unless market is cancelled). This is a fun, physical job that requires the ability to lift equipment up to 50lbs, set up tents, move tables, and carry large boxes. Working conditions are exclusively outside.
- Assists with setup/cleanup/storage and breakdown of market equipment (tents, tables, chairs, closing down streets, etc)
- Assists with directing volunteers and coordinating day-of activities for adults and children
- Helps CSA Manager to set up space from 9am-11am (set up tents, tables, and boxes)
- Resolves issues that arise with vendors and customers when MM is unavailable
- Provides vendor support during setup and breaks
- Provides additional staff support at Fresh Checks table (to cover staff for breaks, surveys, when extra busy, etc.)
- Educate shoppers and vendors on different methods of payment – SNAP, Fresh Checks, $5 tokens
- Delegates tasks to volunteers and market staff to ensure efficient use of time and effort
- Collects vendor sales data at end of market with MM
- Understands and implements Emergency Procedures and COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assists with general cleanup of market location at end of the day (trash, spilled produce, packing shed, etc.)
- Substitutes for Market Manager when unavailable (approx 2-3 times per season)
- Other tasks as assigned by Market Manager
- 1-2 years experience in local food systems (farmers market, agriculture, restaurant, etc)
- Familiarity with the Takoma/Langley Crossroads community
- Bilingual (English/Spanish desired)
- Familiarity with federal benefits programs – SNAP, WIC, FMNP, P-EBT
- Ability to work as part of a team and give and take direction
Position open until filled
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and responses to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the best phone number and email address to reach you.
- In your opinion, what role do farmers markets play in addressing food insecurity?
- Describe a situation in which you had to make a difficult decision on the spot.
- If you had all the resources available to you, describe an activity or game that you would be excited to lead. Please share all necessary details, including number of participants, age group, length of time, materials, etc.